The gadget chronicles of the Fongster





CrispAds Blog Ads

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Sharp Zauras SL5500 - my other long lost gadget!


Argh...forgot my beloved toy from some years back..the Sharp Zauras SL5500..my first Linux PDA. (bought it off www.everythinglinux.com.au)

Absolutely adored it..slide out keyboard..SD slot..CF slot and runs Embedix. Just dug it out from the deep dark recesses of my "disinterest" gadgets drawer just now and took this picture!

I bought a SocketCF card giving ethernet connectivity(back then, WiFi CF cards cost an arm and a leg! :) Also bought a CF 56K modem..had loads of fun with both. I flashed it to OpenZauras and at one stage had it running as a mini Tomcat server and used it to do security pen test/ scanning on several web servers for a project I was involved in.

I recalled how I hooked it up to the office network and assigned an unused static ip to it. One day, I heard a Comms person mumbling why a obviously unassigned static ip address was suddenly unavailable..and upon doing a network scan, discovered it was assigned to a "Linux Server" running some weird Linux O/S. Needless to say, I quietly unplugged from network...never to be heard from again..:) Ah, the joys of this little toy..sigh!

Well, this is also up for sale..if anyone's interested in picking this up for a bargain too..let me know ! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
iPod Nano gadgets Gadget jamesfongster