The gadget chronicles of the Fongster





CrispAds Blog Ads

Thursday, November 10, 2005


What better place to start than with my new mobile "ride"..the Nokia Communicator 9300! Been an o2 xda mini for a good 4-5 months..Christina's been pestering me for a pda mobile and she has her eyes set on my mini..so gives me a perfect excuse to give this to her as a pressie and get a new phone! :) Tell you what..after owning the mini, nothing out there really suits my criteria in terms of multimedia..the mini rocks given its screensize, weight and form factor.

So I decided to forego owning a mobile for "fun" and started looking for a mobile "workhorse"; in my role as a project manager, I needed a mobile that fulfils these functions:

- Quick text input (therefore a sizeable keyboard)
- decent form factor (not a huge brick)
- Syncs natively with Lotus Notes PIM
- Recorder
- MP3

So settled for the 9300.

It's been a pretty good workhorse I must admit..syncs flawlessly (well almost all the time) with Notes..this is a must (the o2 failed miserably here). The keyboard's great...comfortably big and good tactile feel..so screen protector needed because there's no stylus use to ...:)

A bad thing is that distinct lack of cool software for Symbian 80 platform..was really disappointed at first but looking on the bright side, I slayed my o2 mini many, many times but have yet to do that to the 9300..heheh!

Another bad (irritating!) is no vibrate! What the...how can any pda mobile be without a mobile? The Nokia response..."vibrate will cause unncessary stress to the delicate circuitry"...hmm..not acceptable!

Oh, and no camera..but then, I don't miss this at all as I'm not a picture taker.

So the fongster's verdict?

Workhorse? 7/10
Fun factor? 6/10
Software? 3/10
Satisfaction overall? 7/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
iPod Nano gadgets Gadget jamesfongster