The gadget chronicles of the Fongster





CrispAds Blog Ads

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Vaio PCG-C1VG and RedHat 9.0 and Wireless = another late, sleepless night! :)

Ah..rekindled my passion for Linux tonight with tinkling around with an old vaio running RedHat 9.0. I had a PCMCIA wireless card from yonks back (Accton) and was hoping that it was Linux compatible (search through the Linux compatible list but didn't find it as an entry). So on a wing and a prayer, I did a tail -f /var/log/messages, shoved in the Accton wireless and to my immense joy, it displayed the magical words, cardmgr:....."executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs' followed by a successful ./network start eth0'! Happy camper!

Just had to define the DNS (which was the IP of my ADSL/router) for the Mozilla Browser and internet access was enabled!

Also downloaded a wireless plugin for gkrellm, a nice graphical program that monitors CPU/Batt/HD/Wireless Connection and much more...nice!

Other things I'll be playing on Linux will be NetStumbler and Airsnort..Wireless programs..should be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
iPod Nano gadgets Gadget jamesfongster